Message Series: Pivot
Message: Deep Breath – Week #1
Communicator: Pastor Kevin Geer
Big Idea: Love in Action
Central Text: Romans 12:14-18 (NLT) 14 Bless those who persecute you. Don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them. 15 Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don’t think you know it all! 17 Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. 18 Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.
Wins and Words of the Week: Take time to share WINS, (what God did) and WORD, (what God shared with you from His word) that moved you and others forward and closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: What would others say is one positive characteristic that makes you unique?
Questions to Consider:
- From this week’s message: What made you laugh? What encouraged you? What hit you right in the gut? Why did it make you feel this way?
- A pivot foot is foundational; it is where your real focus is planted on. Where might your pivot foot be planted? Job, toys, religion, addiction, hobbies, money, appearances, fear, God?
- What does “love in action” look like within your circle of influence? How can you pivot to bring restoration in your relationships? Who could you pray for this week that God will bless them?
- Read Romans 12:15 How would you define empathy? Which one are you better at doing with people, being happy or weeping? What do you do when a person is at the opposite emotion of your empathy strength?
- Looking at Romans 12:16. What is your definition of harmony? How does your definition impact your relationships? How can you initiate harmony in your relationships? What is your definition of a “know it all”? How do they impact your relationships?
- Why is it so hard to talk about subjects that stir deep emotions, make us uncomfortable or leave us feeling angry or sad? Why is it so hard to love those who are different from us?
- Read and discuss Philippians 2:6-7 Jesus extended his hand of love to us. How can we extend His hand of love to others who are hurting, struggling or different from us?
- Listen, lament, learn, leverage–where do you need to turn your attention? What are some resources you need to embrace this concept of pivoting?
- Read James 1:19 Where do you naturally go to first? To solve a person’s struggles (fix) or to patiently listen trying to understand someone and their struggles? How can listening help us to better understand people and their situations? Do you have an example?
- Read and discuss Romans 12:19. How can you be a person who extends peace? Specifically talk about what that could look like. If you are unsure, ask the Holy Spirit to reveal people who need peace and how to help them experience it.
Questions for Application:
- What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
- Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
- Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
- Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?