did you hear that.
Week #7 Did You Hear That?
Communicator: Kevin Geer
Big idea of the message: Experiencing the Power of Listening
Central text/s: James 1:19; John 10:27
Wins and Words of the Week: Take time to share Wins, what God did, and Word, what God shared with you from His word that moved you forward and closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: When in nature, describe some of your favorite sounds.
Gather questions are more God (Upward) focused, moving us closer to Jesus
- Read James 1:19. How does God encourage us to relate to each other in functional ways? What are some results of not paying attention to James 1:19?
- Read Proverbs 2:1-2. How do you recognize wisdom around you? Who has a wise voice in your life? How do you tune your ears to hear wisdom?
- Read John 10:4-5 What helps you recognize the voice of God in your life? What hinders you from seeking to hear the voice of God in your life?
- Kevin said, “The art of listening can change dysfunction.” How does the content of James 1:19 speak to this?
- Proverbs 18:13 says “Spouting off before listening to the facts is both shameful and foolish.” Everyone can relate to this statement. What wisdom is to be gleaned from letting this verse stick in, especially in regards to spouses, children and coworkers?
Grow questions are more “one another” (Inward) focused, moving us closer to each other
- What helps you to listen to those who may not agree with you? How intentionally do you tune to ‘other stations?’
- What makes listening so powerful? What are your listening distractions. (Phone, T.V., a racing mind, a busy schedule)?
- What does listening with concentration look like in your life? Which is a strength for you–listening with intent, focussing on the speaker, or communicating positively with body language? Which could use some work or attention?
- Who are the truth tellers in your life? Do you have trusted people who will share the hard things with you? Who can you lean into that is more experienced in marriage, parenting, or other goals?
- John 10:27 discusses knowing the shepherd’s voice. How are you tuning your heart to hear more of what God is speaking to you?
- Living with unrepentant sin is like plugging your ears when God wants to speak to you. Are there things you need to confess to God or a trusted friend, so you can begin to heal what is broken and hear more from God? (See James 5:16)
Go! questions are more missional and applicable (Outward) focused, moving us closer to our unsaved world
- Who will you share the gift of listening and a killer of dysfunction with this week?
- This week as you 1.Listen with intent, 2. Focus on what is being said, and 3. Take action to what we hear, how will you anticipate healthier interactions? Which of these three areas are you doing well at, and which could use improvement?
- James 1:22 ‘Don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says.” This week, read, listen and apply this message in action. Practice active listening to others. Listening is a gift you can give those in your circle this week, who will you give this gift to?
Application: “Putting Feet on our Faith”
- What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
- Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
- Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
- Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?
Week #7 Daily Reading: Proverbs
- James 1:19; John 10:1-30
- Proverbs 24
- Proverbs 25
- Proverbs 26
- Proverbs 27