Message Series: Fresh Start – Week# 1
Message: Mind Control
Communicator: Pastor Kevin Geer
Big Idea: I love God by what I put into my mind
Central Text/s: Matthew 22:37-39
Wins and Words of the Week: Take time to share WINS, (what God did) and WORD, (what God shared with you from His word) that moved you and others forward and closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: If you had your own talk show, who would your first three guests be?
Questions to Consider:
- Talk about a time where you re-established something in your life? What were the outcomes?
- If what you think about determines your peace, how much peace are you experiencing in your life currently?
- What would you say is the biggest contributor or distraction to your thoughts? (i.e. T.V., media, music, past experiences, books, other people, another influence?)
- What are some indicators to you that you are not focusing on spiritual things?
- What is a potential cost to you as you begin fixing your mind more and more on spiritual things? What makes this cost worth it?
- Read Romans 12:2. What are some examples of mindsets that follow the “pattern of this world.” Be specific. Our mind is renewed by prayer…reading, reflecting and responding to God’s word as well as worship. Which one would you say you need to focus on most this week? How will you accomplish this focus?
- Using the list from Philippians 4:8, what are some things you would put in each of those categories?
- Homework for this week: find a verse to meditate on–put it into your own words, think about it, and share it with someone. Examples: Matt. 22:37-39; Phil. 4:8; Isaiah 26:3; Psalm 19:14
- Out of the four responses on the connection card, 1. I give my life to Jesus 2. I am feeding myself trash. I see it in my own life. 3. I will make changes to what I am putting into my mind. 4. I will “fix my thoughts” and experience God’s peace. Which resonated most with you? How do you plan on addressing it in your life? How can we as a group best support you in moving that forward?
Questions for Application:
- What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
- Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
- Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
- Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?