Message Series: Pivot – Week #3
Message: New Reality
Communicator: Pastor Kevin Geer
Big Idea: Change is hard, but God is moving us forward!
Central Text/s: Joshua 6:1-5 Now the gates of Jericho were tightly shut because the people were afraid of the Israelites. No one was allowed to go out or in. 2 But the Lord said to Joshua, “I have given you Jericho, its king, and all its strong warriors. 3 You and your fighting men should march around the town once a day for six days. 4 Seven priests will walk ahead of the Ark, each carrying a ram’s horn. On the seventh day you are to march around the town seven times, with the priests blowing the horns. 5 When you hear the priests give one long blast on the rams’ horns, have all the people shout as loud as they can. Then the walls of the town will collapse, and the people can charge straight into the town.”
Wins and Words of the Week: Take time to share WINS, (what God did) and WORD, (what God shared with you from His word) that moved you and others forward and closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: If you could write a book, what genre would you write it in? Mystery? Thriller? Romance? Historical fiction? Space fiction, Non-fiction, A “How to”?
Questions to Consider:
- From this week’s message: What made you laugh? What encouraged you? What hit you right in the gut? What are you excited about?
- Did you practice a “pivot” this week? What happened?
- Read and discuss Joshua 6:1-5. What would be some of your thoughts and feelings if you were Joshua? What do you think the leaders and the people thought of God’s plan?
- Why is change so hard for people? Describe a major change in your life that turned out to be a positive.What steps of faith do you need to take in order to embrace change?
- What are some things that change allows God to do in our lives? What are some biblical examples of changes or transitions people made that were beneficial to the Kingdom of God? To them personally?
- What in your personality makes change a difficult thing? What in your personality makes change a welcome thing? What do you anticipate about the positive things relative to a Canvas pivot?
- How will you personally pivot to keep on the move with God? Attend a gathering, serve at a gathering? Financially support the Billings launch? Invite friends and family to join you at Canvas? Begin studying the book of Revelation? Commit to two months without complaining?
- Read and discuss Luke 15:5,6. Why was Jesus so concerned about going after the one lost sheep? Make a list of people who are lost and without Jesus that we as a group can pray for, go after and love? What was the result of the one sheep that was found? What do you think that celebration looks like?
- At the end of each message, there is a call to action. Out of the four responses on the connection card, which resonated with you? How do you plan on addressing it in your life?
How can we as a group support you?
Questions for Application:
- What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
- Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
- Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
- Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?