Message Series: Mood Swings
Message: Social Awareness Week #4
Communicator: Pastor Stephen Masters
Big Idea: Social awareness is the ability to pick up on the emotions in others and understand what is really going on.
Central Text/s: Colossians 3:8,12; Proverbs 18:2, 20:5; Mark 6:34; James 1:19; Hebrews 4:15
Wins and Words of the Week: Take time to share WINS, (what God did) and WORD, (what God shared with you from His word) that moved you and others forward and closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: Do you love working from home or would you rather be in the office? Is there a balance of both that you like best? What’s the hardest part about working virtually for you? The easiest?
Questions to Consider:
- What was your biggest take-away from this week’s message? What made you laugh? What did you do differently as a result of the message? Did you share this truth with anyone?
- What emotion/s have loomed front and center for you so far during this Mood Swings series? Explain. Has there been a need for a language change?
- Read Mark 6:34. Jesus was fully present with the huge crowd even though he and the disciples were probably exhausted. What is the biggest distraction that keeps you from being present with people in your life? Busyness, being tired, your phone, social media, TV, other?
- Where do you find yourself on the “Understanding others—Fixing others” spectrum? What helps you move toward understanding?
- What helps you ask questions? What are some helpful questions to ask? What helps you ask the right question at the right time?
- How well do you see from another’s perspective? What have you learned about yourself as you attempt to broaden your horizons and see the world through another’s eyes?
- What ripples do you often create? Read Colossians 3:8&12
- Jesus was fully human, and fully God. Stephen created the visual of how 5,000 men were ‘hangry.’ In this moment of fatigue, it says that Jesus still had compassion on them. Are you ever the ‘hangry’ one receiving that compassion? How can you give that compassion to others who push your buttons and ask of you when you’re spent?
- Read James 1:19 “Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.”
Imagine Jesus sitting with you, asking you to ‘understand’ something. How would focusing your attention on him, alert your senses? Spend a few minutes as a group to ponder the reality of this verse. How can living out this verse personally transform you?
- How can you choose to thank God for this season of quarantine? No matter the negative impacts, where is God whispering his constant love and affection towards you? Jesus saw every opportunity for losing his cool. Spend some time reflecting on his grace, his provision and his emotional intelligence to meet us at our best and worst moments and love us despite that.
Questions for Application:
- What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
- Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
- Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
- Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?