Mood Swings: Week #1
Message: Taming The Wild
Communicator: Pastor Kevin Geer
Big Idea: Understanding and taming our emotions
Central Text/s: Colossians 3:8,12; Proverbs 29:11; Romans 12:2; John 10:10
Wins and Words of the Week: Take time to share WINS, (what God did) and WORD, (what God shared with you from His word) that moved you and others forward and closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: What is the first restaurant you will go to once the quarantine is lifted and who will join you?
Questions to Consider:
- Name one or two emotions have you experienced during the Covid-19 Pandemic?
- On a daily basis where would you say you get most of your information? News, podcasts, blogs, media, co-workers, friends? Read Psalm 1:1-6. Where does the blessed person get their information, what do they do with it and what are the results?
- Healthy thinking over time repairs unhealthy emotions. Read Romans 12:2. As a group make a list of ways a person can change how they think or renew their mind? Which one on the list will you work on this week? Be specific!
- Emotions must be expressed wisely. Read Proverbs 29:11. Give examples of the differences between the way a “fool” and a “wise” person express their emotions. Which emotions in your life need to be better expressed?
- Read John 10:10 Describe what life during the quarantine has “stolen” from you and what new life has God given you that you didn’t have before?
- Read Colossians 3:12-14 Paul describes the type of “clothing” God’s people must wear. Which one do you need to “put on”? Describe what that might look like in your life? How will you “dress” differently moving forward?
- Read Colossians 3:15-16 Pull from these verses five or more truths that will encourage and challenge your group. How can you individually and as a group live these truths?
- Read Ephesians 4:2; James 4:10; 2 Chronicles 7:14 How would you define or describe the word humility? Why is it so important in the life of the believer?
- Read Romans 15:13 How can the truth of this verse help you during this challenging time? Who do you know could use the hope of this verse in their life? Share it, pray it!
- Read Galatians 5:22-23 Which fruit of the Spirit would you say is your biggest need right now? Talk about it and pray for each other.
Questions for Application:
● What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
● Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
● Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
● Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?