Message Series: Galatians Week #4
Message: Torn Apart
Communicator: Pastor Kevin Geer
Big Idea: The Holy Spirit doesn’t just help us defeat sin, He empowers us to live life.
Central Text/s: Galatians 5:16-21, 24; Romans 8:8; John 15:5
Wins and Words of the Week: Take time to share WINS, (what God did) and WORD, (what God shared with you from His word) that moved you and others forward and closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: What three characteristics do you value in a close friend?
Questions to Consider:
- When was the last time you were excited about what God was doing in your life? Explain.
- Read Galatians 5:1. What does freedom in Christ mean to you?
- Read Galatians 2:20; 5:1. What happened to you when you committed your life to following Jesus? What is our continued responsibility in light of these verses?
- Looking at Galatians 5:19-21 and 22-23. In the Christian life, are we to simply avoid doing bad things “sin management” and try to only do “good things”? Explain what you mean.
- How many of you have a battle going on in your mind between your sinful nature and the Spirit of God? Read Galatians 5:16-17; Romans 8:8; 2 Corinthians 10:5. From those passages: What is the promise from God and what is one factor that determines who wins those battles?
- Read Galatians 5:22-23. Listen and pause after each fruit of the Spirit is read. What fruit is the Holy Spirit intimating to you is needed in your life?
- Read Galatians 5:25 Talk about what it means to live according to the Spirit? Make a list.
- How you can express more of the Holy Spirit’s power in and through your lives? Take time and ask the Holy Spirit what that will look like individually and as a group?
- Discuss how a life guided by the Holy Spirit can heal, change and thrive in your key relationships. What steps can you take to see that this happens?
- Read John 15:5. Can a vine be partially connected and still bear fruit? Why or why not? What does it mean to remain connected to Jesus? How can this truth encourage you to reconnect or remain connected to Jesus? What specific steps will you take?
Questions for Application:
- What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
- Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
- Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
- Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?