Message Series: Valentine’s Weekend
Message: Wait, What? (So Loved)
Communicator: Pastor Rylan Faucett
Big Idea: God’s love is for us and He is always pursuing us.
Central Text/s: John 3:16; Hosea 2:14-15, 3:1; Psalm 24:1; 1 John 4-12
Wins and Words of the Week: Take time to share WINS, (what God did) and WORD, (what God shared with you from His word) that moved you and others forward and closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: What is your all-time favorite “love song”? Explain why.
Questions to Consider:
- Describe a moment in your life when it became obvious that God’s love for you was real and tangible. (Baptism, camp, a miracle, etc.).
- Read John 3:16; 1 John 4:9-10. What is one word you would use to describe his love for you? Why did you choose that word?
- In John 3:16, “So Loved” is strategically used. Discuss what “So Loved” means to you.
- Describe what it was like when you first gave your life to Jesus? How does your life look now compared to when you first followed him?
- What is the first step you take when you feel distant from God or when he feels distant from you?
- The Story of Hosea and Gomer is quite fascinating. God spoke to Hosea several times giving him specific direction. What might God be “assigning” to you? E.g. A ministry to launch or be part of, a person to mentor, restore a broken relationship, pursue God in a more intentional way. Explain.
- Read Hosea 2:14-15. Hosea is so committed to Gomer, and he loves her so much, he talks about turning “Heartbreak Valley” into “Acres of Hope”. Have you ever been yourself or know of someone who is living in “Heartbreak Valley”? How did/can you turn it into “Acres of Hope”? Explain.
- Read Hosea 3:1. Is there someone in your life, family member, friend, etc. that you need to look for and express the love of God to? What will be your first step towards them?
- Read Hosea 14:1-2 and 1 John 1:9. How does this apply to us as believers? Is confession of sins part of your daily encounter with God? Why or why not? Explain.
- Read 1 John 4:11-12. As a group, discuss how you can show the love of God to each other. How can you as a group tangibly show love to people outside your group? Try to be very specific. What does God promise when we love others?
Questions for Application:
- What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
- Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
- Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
- Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?