wart in the nose.
Week #5 Wart in the Nose
Communicator: Kevin Geer
Big idea of the message:
Central text/s: Ephesians 4:31
Wins of the Week: Take time to share wins, God stories that moved you forward closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: What does your name mean?
Gather questions are more God (Upward) focused, moving us closer to Jesus
- What name has God given you? See 1 John 3:1; John 1:12 Eph. 2:10; Phil. 4:1
- How does holding onto or wanting to control, i.e. bitterness, anger, unforgiveness inhibit you from walking in the abundance of life and God’s glorious standard? What does releasing that look like to you?
- If we were packages being delivered, what are some cautions you would find helpful in relationships? Ex. ‘handle with care.’
- Bitterness is the opposite of the fruit of the spirit. Can you relate with the idea that we cannot be as full of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness and self control when bitterness is poisoning us?
Grow questions are more “one another” (Inward) focused, moving us closer to each other
- Romans 3:23 states “For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” In the fight against bitterness, how does this help you love others more freely when you realize we ALL are flawed?
- Read Ephesians 4:31-32 together as a group. What importance is placed on removing those behaviors that can poison our relationships? How do we “get rid of” these toxic behaviors?
- Your dysfunction affects my life, and mine yours: How would freeing ourselves from bitterness or unforgiveness impact those we live with, work with, and play with? What are some indicators to you that you are holding onto bitterness or unforgiveness?
- Kevin shared multiple things that forgiveness is. It is to cancel the debt, release control, to not seek revenge, and it is an ongoing process. Which of these can you apply first to begin your process towards restoration?
- As you were holding your fist tightly, what were you holding onto? What came to your mind?
Go! questions are more missional and applicable (Outward) focused, moving us closer to our unsaved world
- Hurt people hurt people! Forgiven people forgive people! As you work towards your own forgiveness in relationships, how have you recognize the potential to demonstrate Christ’s love to all around?
- Living out forgiveness does not mean enabling poor behavior. How can you help those you love or yourself set healthy boundaries in regards to forgiveness?
- Read Philipians 3:13-14. Who can you encourage the concept of forgetting the past, and looking forward to what lies ahead? What comes to mind when Paul says, “I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize”?
Application: “Putting Feet on our Faith”
- What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
- Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
- Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
- Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?
Week #5 Proverbs Daily Reading: Truth to Live By
- Ephesians 4:25-32
- Proverbs 16
- Proverbs 17
- Proverbs 18
- Proverbs 19