Message Series: Galatians Week # 3
Message: Welcome Home
Communicator: Pastor Stephen Masters
Big Idea: Understanding what it means to be a part of the family of God.
Central Text/s: Galatians 3:26-29; 4:5-6; John 1:12; 1 Peter 1:3-5; 2 Corinthians 5:15
Wins and Words of the Week: Take time to share WINS, (what God did) and WORD, (what God shared with you from His word) that moved you and others forward and closer to Jesus.
Ice Breaker: What is a family tradition or an aspect of your heritage that you are likely to pass on to the next generation?
Questions to Consider:
- What are some characteristics or qualities that you inherited from your family of origin? How far back can you trace your lineage?
- What positive words of advice would you give to a young couple who is starting a family?
- Describe a time when you felt like you belonged to something. A club, a team, a church, a group of friends. Etc. How did that impact your life? Briefly share your experience.
- Read Galatians 3:26-29 What comes to mind when you read that you are God’s heirs, part of his family? What will you tell your kids about your spiritual lineage, as an heir in the family of God?
- Read John 1:12. When you think about being in the family of God, what would you say you enjoy the most? What do you think makes a great family member?
- Read Galatians 3:27; Make a list of characteristics of what being “clothed with Christ” looks like? How will people know of your Christian wardrobe? Explain.
- Is it possible for Christians to have too high of a view of God and miss how approachable, loving and forgiving he is with us? Explain.
- Read Galatians 4:5-6. This term “ Abba, Father” is an endearing and intimate phrase that a young child would express to their father. It means, “daddy, daddy”. How does this verse speak of God’s gift of love and acceptance for you? What might be your response to him? Take time as a group to express words of adoration to your “Abba” your heavenly “daddy”.
- Read 1 Peter 1:3-5. What key phrases do you see in the passage that jump out at you? What do you look forward to experiencing as your God given inheritance?
- God loves you just the way you are, but he refuses to keep you that way. He wants to make us more like Jesus. What would you say is your next practical step to becoming more like Jesus? Please give specific examples.
Questions for Application:
- What specific steps will I/We take to live out what we just discussed?
- Who can we share this message or truth with? What is their name?
- Who are you praying for to know Jesus? What is their name?
- Who will I partner with to keep me accountable so I/We can grow?